Feature Friday #43: Signed copy of Elizabeth Hay’s “Alone in the Classroom”
This past Tuesday, we celebrated The D.A.D. Project’s first year anniversary. To celebrate, we thought we’d mix things up a bit with our first-ever online auction! Our Friday donation today comes from the generous folks at mother tongue books, an independent bookstore here in Ottawa.
Up for grabs is a hardcover copy of Alone in the Classroom by Giller Prize-winning author Elizabeth Hay — and it’s signed by the author herself! This book is currently number one on MacLean’s magazine’s best-selling list of fiction novels.
**HOW TO BID**
We suggest a starting bid of $35 Canadian (the book on its own retails at $29.99 in stores).
Anyone want to snag the first bid?
To do so and/or to make further bids on this book, simply leave a comment on this post with the amount you wish to bid (making sure to include an email address for us to contact you in case you win the auction.)
Once the first bid has been made, every new bid must be for a minimum increased increment of $2.00.
mother tongue books is a local independent book store in old Ottawa South that’s been around 17 years. It carries books ranging from Canadian and international fiction, textbooks, cultural theory, First Nations writings, kid’s, spirituality, self-help, parenting, health and sexuality.
Owned by Evelyn Huer and Laura Rayner, they have created a welcoming place that is closely connected to the community. They also often host poetry readings and book launches. Laura and Evelyn were recently made honorary members of the League of Canadian poets.
Auction nitty gritty:
- All dollar amounts are in Canadian funds.
- 100% of the winning bid will be donated to the Canadian Cancer Society.
- In the case where more than one person happens to makes the same bid amount at the exact same date/time, we will honour the bid that appears first in the comment section.
- The auction will close at 11:59 p.m. EST next Friday, June 17, 2011 with the highest bid as the winner. Payment must be made in one of two ways: 1) through our PayPal account as a direct payment, or 2) as a direct donation through our CCS team page.
- The winner must make payment within 48 hours of being notified by us that they won the auction; otherwise the next highest bidder will be contacted to redeem the prize.
- This auction is open to anyone in the world. We will cover shipping and handling to get the book to the winner.
This whole auction idea is a new endeavour on our part so we’re hoping there aren’t any hiccups along the way… but if there are, please bear with us if there are any kinks!
A huge grateful thank you Laura and Evelyn for their generosity, and to Adele for looking into and arranging this donation. For all Canadian lit fans, there are more goodies from mother tongue on the way :)
And with that… let the bidding begin!!!